I am dedicated to giving each placenta the respect and honor it so deserves. I use a professional dehydrator with adjustable temperature settings (not an oven), disinfect (using EPA approved disinfectants), and/or dispose of tools between each processing, and continuously further my education. I currently hold certifications in ORLA Food Handlers and BLX Bloodborne Pathogens for Placenta Encapsulators, and I follow Universal Precautions and OSHA Guidelines.
Placenta encapsulation is the process of preparing the mother’s placenta after the birth of her baby by dehydrating, powdering and placing it into capsules for the mother to use as she sees fit. Where possible the umbilical cord is also dried and provided separately as a keepsake. I offer both Raw (not steamed, and dehydrated under 120 degrees), and TCM (steamed and dehydrated), methods.
"Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) – In this method, your placenta is steamed with fresh ginger, hot peppers, and lemon before dehydrating, which is believed to enhance its warming properties and help your body use the beneficial properties of the placenta in a deeper way. This method also kills any bacteria and reduces risk of spoilage. However, there is concern about the degradation of the hormones when cooking the placenta in temperatures higher than 118º.
Raw Method – This method involves slicing the placenta while raw and dehydrating it immediately. Clients who choose this method report increased energy as one of the benefits. It is widely thought that the hormones are more likely to be bio-available when the placenta is processed raw."
The placenta contains beneficial hormones, proteins, and iron to help with postpartum healing.
In addition to having an easier postpartum recovery overall, some of the reported health benefits are:
- * Lower rates of postpartum depression and “baby blues”
- * Increased breastmilk supply
- * Less postpartum bleeding
- * Quicker return to pre-pregnancy uterine size
- * Increased Energy
This LINK has some more information and articles on placenta encapsulation benefits.
To get started contact me or Salem Birth Support for prices and contract. I require a deposit upon booking to purchase supplies.
- Decide if you prefer a RAW or TCM preparation.
- Choose if you would prefer to have the encapsulation done in your home or for me to arrange pickup/delivery (from hospital or place of birth). ~I will only work on 1 placenta at a time through completion and yours will be labeled and properly packaged and stored for transport so you can assure you are getting your placenta back and not someone elses.~
- Notify me once you are in labor if possible so I can be on standby, and than once delivered if you have chosen for me to prepare your placenta capsules outside of your home, so that I can arrange pickup of the placenta at the location of your choosing. (Placenta needs to be kept sealed in double ziplocks and on ice in a cooler or in refrigeration until pickup)
- If you choose to have the encapsulation done in your own home, please keep the placenta in refrigeration in proper storage container or double bagged ziplocks until the arranged and agreed upon time (I will need access to your home 2-3 days in a row for short periods of time, depending on the method of encapsulation chosen.)
- I will drop-off/or leave you with your completed placenta capsules once done (usually 24-48 hours after starting), and provide general recommendations on how to take them.
~It is best if the placenta can be started no later than 3-4 days after birth. Sooner is best so that you can have your capsules as soon as possible! If we are unable to find a common time to get the process started than your placenta can be frozen, but will need to have 24-48 hours to defrost prior to preparation.~
There are a few circumstances where your placenta would not be able to be encapsulated or a TCM method would be preferred.
*If Placenta goes to pathology - Ask for it to not be exposed to any formalin/preservatives and to stay refrigerated, OR ask for a small piece to be sent instead of the entire placenta.
*If you test positive for GBS or other infections in pregnancy TCM method is preferred to help kill the bacteria.
* An infection called Chorioamnionitis is contraindicated for placenta encapsulation. *Other medications and some other conditions are contraindicated on a case by case basis.
(Some people develop reactions to their placenta pills and need to discontinue use, these can range from headaches to insomnia to unstable mood, etc.)
.**I am not a licensed medical professional. These services (or any of my birth services) are not clinical, pharmaceutical, or intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The information in this entry has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Women who choose to utilize any such services take full responsibility for researching and using the remedies. Services and fees are for the preparation/encapsulation of your placenta, not for the sale of the pills/tinctures, or other remedies. No specific benefits, effects or cures are promised.**